Advocacy Alert July 2020
Please call or email your Virginia Legislators now and make sure your voice is heard before the Special Session in August on Police Reforms.
- Find out who your State Legislator is and their email & phone number at http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov
- Use the message below or personalize your call or email to your State Senator & House Delegate. Be friendly, respectful and build a relationship with your legislator.
Your Message Guide
My name is (insert your name) and I am a constituent from (insert your city). In the August Special Session of the Virginia Legislature I would like you to:
1. Establish a Police Use of Force Code for the State of Virginia that includes
- A ban on chokeholds
- The requirement to use de-escalation techniques prior to force
- The duty to intervene and report abuse by fellow officers
- A prohibition on no-knock warrants
2. Create a Statewide Team with an independent investigator and prosecutor to investigate law enforcement personnel involved in death or serious injury of individuals in the custody of police, jail or prison.
3. Create a state standard of public transparency on police, jail or prison activity data and policies.
4. Reimagine the role of police departments (not defund) and reinvest any resulting funds into public education, health, crisis intervention and/or other services.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
(insert your name)
Thank you for taking action and making your voice heard. Together we can encourage positive reform that will benefit all members in our community.