Loudoun County Adult Detention Center Volunteer Application
We need compassionate volunteers to teach and facilitate classes at the Loudoun Adult Detention Center!
Life Skills: Students explore and discuss budgeting, decision making, mental health, and communication. Class meets once a week for 4 weeks.
Fatherhood: Students explore and discuss the role of the father in the family, the challenges of parenting after separation, stages of childhood development, communication, discipline, and more. Class meets once a week for 8 weeks.
Anger Management: The class helps students identify the beliefs, triggers, thoughts and feelings in their personal “Cycle of Violence”. Students discover practical tools and techniques to break the cycle. Class meets once a week for 7 weeks.
Employability Skills: Students focus on workplace communication, preparing job applications, workplace etiquette, practicing interview skills, and a mock interview session. Class meets once a week for 6 weeks.
MoneySmart: Students explore and discuss financial management skills such as budgeting, savings, insurance cash flow, investments, Social Security, credit and other monetary matters. Class meets once a week for 7 weeks
**OAR also needs instructors for Social Values, Self Control, Family Ties, Peer Relationships, and Impact of Crime classes!
- Minimum age of 21
- Non-judgmental attitude toward offenders and their families
- Ability to model appropriate non-violent and non-abusive behaviors at all times
- No substance abuse issues within the last 2 years
- Incurred no arrests, convictions, incarceration or probation/parole within the past 4 years
- Experience facilitating/managing a class of 6 or more
- Ability to create and/or follow a lesson plan
- Ability to set and enforce appropriate professional boundaries with students at all times
- Ability to communicate well and foster a virtual and/or in person classroom environment conducive to learning
- Become familiar with curriculum and facilitate class(es)
- Confirm students have received course materials prior to first class or bring to first in person class
- Coordinate with co-instructors and program manager(s) as needed
- Track student attendance.
- Provide attendance and participation information to program manager
- Prepare course completion certificates and provide a copy to the program manager
- Maintain client confidentiality